Monday, December 4, 2006

Writing

So another realization just hit me that may explain my motivations for writing all of this stuff. That realization is simply: "I have a lot of shit to say!"

This came to me just a few short minutes ago while talking to my mother. I was telling her some of my ideas and some things I had witnessed in the day and thats when I noticed that I just could not shut up. I could have spoken for days. I don't know why, but I never really noticed how much I talk till today. My mother always complains that she never gets to speak and I think she often gets sick of listening to me. I always viewed this as a bad thing and it is in certain situations. In a social setting while talking, it is a bad idea to ramble on for hours about a topic because other people are waiting to talk. Also useually, in those settings noone really cares what you are saying, they just want you to hear what they are saying. Here in writing, however, this problem is non-existant. When you are reading you are not waiting to speak, therfore you are actually listening. With that in effect, if I am writing something worth hearing you will keep reading, enjoy it, and perhaps learn from it.

So now the question comes down to: "why did i never realize that writing would be a good thing for me?" I have always had an interest in reading, be it intellectual blogs, books, poems, plays all that good stuff. I've always been like "wow it would be cool to write that stuff and have people actually hearing your ideas!" But I always figured I couldn't, and wouldn't do it. My main reason for this was that I always thought I didn't like writing. Well, that is and at the same time isn't true. I don't like the physical act of putting pen to paper and writing, because 1. it hurts 2. I have horrible handwriting that virtually no one can read and 3. I'm a slow writer and I get really frustrated because I can't write as fast as I can think. Despite all that, I do like putting my ideas down onto paper, because for one thing it makes the idea a solid thing that I can look at later and revise as my ideas change, finishing it gives me a sense of accompishment, and thirdly others can read and hopfully benefit. So it seems that while I don't like the physical act of writing, I do like the idea and priciple of writing. The solotion which I came up with for this is since I don't have a problem with typing I can use that instead of "writing". I have now discovered how i can be the writer I always wanted to be!

1 comment:

beeswax said...

"you hold that pen like a vulture!! all of you, vultures!!!"